The BLM has two cabins for rent each winter in Garnet. As one guest wrote in the Dahl Cabin Journal, “The annual ghost town trek was once again pure joy! Made perfect tele-turns down the hill right to the porch!….See you next year.”
Do you want to sleep with the ghosts?
Two primitive cabins are available from December 1 to April 30. They are heated by wood stoves and lit by propane lights. Neither has electricity or indoor plumbing. Outhouses and potable water are near the cabins. Each cabin is furnished with cooking utensils and a propane stove.
- The Dahl Cabin has two full beds and two cots, and can sleep up to six people. It rents for $40 per night.
- The McDonald Cabin is a single room with two double beds. Four people would find it cozy but pleasant. It rents for $30 per night.
Garnet is not accessible by wheeled vehicles during the winter. Access is either by snowmobile or skis/snowshoes. Because of the popularity of some weekends, reservations are given by a lottery system. After the initial lottery, remaining dates can be made throughout the season. To apply for the lottery drawing, submit the application below*. We will notify applicants of the results of the lottery drawing by November 21. We will also send an information packet that includes maps, directions and the cabin’s lock combination for your dates. We will return the checks of unsuccessful applicants.
*The deadline for the cabin rental lottery is the FIRST FRIDAY in NOVEMBER. After November 21, reservations may be made by calling the BLM at 406-329-3914.
Items Provided at the Rental Cabin:
- Rodent-proof can
- Firewood and ax
- Water containers
- Two-burner propane cook stove
- Wood-burning heat stove
- Fire extinguisher and smoke alarm
- First Aid kit
- Propane light
- Table and chairs
- Broom and dust pan
- Snow shovel
- Dish pan, drying rack and drainer
- Frying pans, pots and kettle
- Plates, bowls, cups, glasses
- Silverware, can opener, basic utensils
Suggested Items to Bring:
- Cabin combination and permit!
- Food and beverage
- Warm clothing
- Sleeping bags
- Emergency shelter
- Sharp knife
- Storm gear
- Dish soap and sponge
- Ski repair items
- Snowmobile repair items
- Garbage bags
- Specific first aid or medical supplies
Once you have completed, signed, and dated the application, send it with your remittance to the Bureau of Land Management, Cabin Rental Program, 3255 Fort Missoula Road, Missoula MT 59804. Be sure to indicate which cabin you wish to rent and include both 1st and 2nd choices with the appropriate fee. We will not confirm reservations until we have received payment. Send your check with your application, payable to the Department of Interior, BLM. We will not accept lottery applications prior to October 1st.
Upon receipt of the completed application and rental payment, we will send an information packet that includes maps, directions, the cabin’s current lock combination, and descriptions of cabin’s furnishings. When more than one renter requests a date, reservations will be determined by a lottery. Unsuccessful applicants will have their check returned. Applications received after the deadline will be processed on a first-come, first-serve basis. Cancellations may be made by calling us. A REFUND is available if the reservation is cancelled with a minimum of seven day’s notice prior to your rental dates. No exceptions. A $5 per rental processing fee is non-refundable.
What’s In The Cabins
Dahl Cabin: It has three full size beds and two cots that will readily accommodate up to six persons. Rental: $40 a night.
The McDonald Cabin (formerly the Wills Cabin): It is a single room with two double beds (four persons would find it cozy but pleasant). Rental: $30 a night.
Restrooms: Located at the east end of town or in back of the Will’s cabin. Please use only these facilities to protect your and others health.
Water: Available at two locations. One spigot is located out in front of Kelly’s Saloon and the other one is at the east end of town before you reach the restroom. To Use the water spigot simply lift the handle up and make sure it is all the way down when done using or it will freeze.
Propane Stove Operation: When using be sure the valve on the tank bottle is turn all the way on to seat the valve and prevent leakage of propane. Control the flame with the individual burner controls. Please be sure to turn the valve on the tank bottle all the way off before you leave.
Food Items: Care should be used in storage, as mice and other rodents are present in Garnet’s environment. Please use the rodent-proof can provided. Pack up all trash and pack it out when you leave.
Pets: Unfortunately, pets should not be allowed in the rental cabins. Leave them home or leave them outside since some people are allergic to dogs.
Permit Terms for Occupancy
- Renters that violate these terms, shall not be eligible for future rentals.
- A maximum of six people are allowed to stay in the Dahl Cabin and four people in the McDonald Cabin.
- Smoking is not allowed in Garnet.
- Disorderly or otherwise objectionable conduct by the occupants shall be cause for termination of this permit.
- In order to prevent or minimize bear encounters, food, trash, and similar items must not be stored outside the cabins or in vehicles within one-half mile of Garnet.
- Inside the cabins please store food in either the rodent-proof container or in the refrigerator. Mice and other rodents are common in Garnet.
- During the winter cabin rental season, wheeled vehicles may not be driven to Garnet. However, you may see the vehicles of a landowner who lives above Garnet. That property owner has the right to drive through Garnet.
- Camping is prohibited within one-half mile of Garnet.
- Personal belongings (including firearms, coolers, clothes, etc) are to be kept inside the cabins.
- Pets are acceptable inside facilities as long as they do not damage property and are not left unattended.
- The permittee shall pack out and dispose of refuse resulting from personal use, including waste materials, garbage, and rubbish of all kinds.
- Quiet hours are from 10 P.M. to 8 A.M.
- Garnet is a no-shooting area.
- Some private land exist within and adjoining Garnet. Ownership maps and signs are provided to assist you in locating property. Please respect private property by not trespassing.
- Please notify the BLM of any hazards or maintenance needs but shall make no repairs, alterations, improvements or additions to the premises.
- The permittee will maintain improvements in as good of condition as received for use and shall supply and replace any articles that may be destroyed broken or lost with articles of a like kind and of equal value.
- Any damage to the premises and/or lands resulting from neglect or action of the permittee or permittee’s group shall be repaired at the permittee’s expense.
- The permittee assumes normal risks associated with hazards common to the area.
- Check out time is 12:00 noon.
To rent a cabin contact:
Bureau of Land Management
3255 Ft Missoula Road
Missoula, Montana 59804